Monday, July 26, 2010

A Little Vintage Goes Along Way








Once upon a time young flappers and their beaus were all decked out in full raccoon coats...well I love vintage fur but opt for collars instead of full length period pieces. My fall flapper tale begins with accessories. The first place I started was with raccoon collars, both real and faux. Attached to tweed and camel hair jackets, the collars work as more modern versions of a classic look.

Moving on to handbags, I found this unusual Longchamps bag several years ago. The bag is very different- it has a regular zipper opening but each end opens to use as an old fashioned muff to keep your hands warm! Works also as a clutch and shoulder bag. I love the red color with the camel and brown tweed jackets.

For a bit of a vintage look, I love to wear black gloves. This long pair goes so well with 3/4 length jackets. I try to carry a pair of black gloves at all times in my handbag for warmth and polish.

Now for the shoes. I am loving any kind of bootie but these red suede Charles David pair are a perfect wink to my vintage 1930s homage while staying modern when worn with a pair of black skinny pants. I also recently found this pair of Nordstrom brand spectator Mary Janes that again lend a vintage feel without turning into a costume. I have a great pair of grey wide leg trousers (ala Katherine Hepburn) I plan to wear with these.

For a topper, I plan to wear this cloche-style black hat. Another nod to another time but when worn with denim or a casual outfit, just a little bit of vintage.

No comments:

Post a Comment