Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Found Generation






My Fall 1920/30 inspired story could not be complete without discussing the two people who have inspired me creatively more than anyone else in my life. Several years ago I found a small article in a fashion magazine about a college exhibition on the art and style of Gerald and Sara Murphy. The article made reference to them being the inspiration for Tender is the Night my favorite F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. This caught my attention: how had the art and style of this couple influenced Fitzgerald enough to write this beautiful story? I had never heard of them yet there was an entire exhibit about their art and style? I wanted to know more so I began researching their lives. I discovered they moved to Paris in 1921 and later had a home in the South of France called Villa America. They were friends with Cole Porter and did a musical with him. The top photo is of the Murphys with Cole and Linda Porter in Venice. Besides inspiring Fitzgerald, they served as muse to Picasso, Leger, Dos Passos and Hemingway. The Murphys were both gifted artists in their own right. The painting with the cigar box is by Gerald Murphy. The ink drawing is a self portrait by Sara Murphy.

Sara was famous for wearing a long string of pearls and liked to "sun" them on their beach. The photo of her sunning her pearls is included along with several paintings of Sara by Picassco, the most famous of them, The Woman in White. The Murphys were known for their gracious entertaining, distinct style in interior design and in their clothing. Gerald's father created the Mark Cross company, an earlier version of Coach type handbags and leathergoods, which Gerald ran for many years after their return to the U.S. These wonderful people led the most amazing life together; they are the ideal I have for living the fullest, most creative life imaginable. Not only have the Murphys inspired my own aesthetic but the novel I am working on is also inspired by them. We named our own beach cottage "True Love" after the Cole Porter song and sailboat from the movie "High Society" as an homage to the Murphys. Another Murphy friend Philip Barry wrote the play "The Philadelphia Story" which "High Society" was based. Here is to the Murphys and their amazing style...may they inspire your highest creative ideals.

No comments:

Post a Comment