Sunday, July 25, 2010

My Fall Story


Ordinarily I love the fall fashion shows and especially the large August/September issues of the fashion magazines outlining the fall looks. Each of the shows or fashion spreads have a story to tell. The tales from Fall 2010 have left me a little cold. The Marc Jacobs/Prada take on the full figured 1950s housewife has been told before and seems like a costume from "Mad Men". The minimalist look from Chloe and others seemed to go overboard towards the masculine without a nuance towards the feminine. So where does that leave the story for fall? I decided to write my own. I have been watching alot of classic movies lately and watched "It Happened One Night" along with a string of B movies with Myrna Loy as a very young heroine from the 1930s. These women dressed with a panache and cleverness that is missing from anything presented by designers today. The lovely dresses, furs and sequins abound...so what can we take from the Great Depression for the Great Recession? I am drawn to fur collars with classic camel and tweeds mixed with denim in a modern look. My fall story is starting to take shape with my recent jacket find...

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to your story!
    PS: the photo above is very dark, and I can't see the outfit. Perhaps outside pics with better lighting?

    ReplyDelete